Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mini Mission # 12 - Buy Something Big

Frivolous bike picture RatRodBikes
One of my proudest moments during my first few months living abroad in Germany was successfully purchasing a used bike. I found a store, walked in, and read shakily from a piece of paper the words "I would like to buy a used bike".  The kind owner showed me their bikes, pointed out a particular bright pink model for 35 euros, at which point I felt like I should act like I knew what I was doing and asked questions about the... what are those things called? Brakes, yes. And... those things over there? The lights, yes. At any rate, I left with a bike that served me well for years to come! (I named him Floyd)

Making that first big purchase can seem intimidating, but boy was I proud of myself - it's a great feeling to know that you can navigate even complicated purchases. So go on - what have you been eyeing? That fancy suit? A custom mural for your living room? A scooter? Go for it! Approach that shop, walk up to that sales person with your scrap paper language cheat sheet and act like you know what you're talking about. And remember - say no to English!

What did you buy (or at least pretend to want to buy)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...